Here at Spire Dental, we offer a variety of teeth straightening options to help improve your confidence and dental health.
What is orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontic treatment is a way of straightening or moving teeth, to improve the appearance and position of the teeth. It can also help to look after the long-term health of your teeth, gums and jaw joints, by spreading the biting pressure over all your teeth.
Why do I need orthodontic treatment?
Many people have crowded or crooked teeth. Orthodontic treatment can improve their appearance and the way the teeth bite together, while also making them easier to clean. The reasons for needing more orthodontic treatment can vary from:
- People who have upper front teeth that ‘stick out’, are more likely to be damaged in a fall or accident.
- People who had orthodontics in the past but their teeth have moved from not wearing retainers.
- People who feel they are ‘toot old’ for conventional braces but unaware of the other treatment options available to them.
- Teenagers denied treatment on the NHS because they don’t meet the criteria for NHS treatment – those with grading 1-3 below for example would not be covered under the NHS in normal circumstances.
- Children who deemed ‘too young’ for NHS treatment at the moment but would benefit from an orthodontic appliance to prevent a conditioning worsening as they get older.
- People who have missing teeth that cannot be replaced as their remaining teeth have moved making the area ‘too small’ to replace but still a gap present – a mixture of orthodontics and implants can help with this.
- When the teeth don’t meet correctly, this can put strain on the muscles of the jaw, causing jaw and joint problems and sometimes headaches. Orthodontic treatment can help you to bite more evenly and reduce the strain.
- Finger or thumb sucking – These habits can cause protrusion of the upper incisor teeth and constriction of the upper jaw.
There is no age limit to having perfect straight teeth and with our range of teeth-straightening options, its now much easier, quicker, and more affordable to have the perfect smile!
What are the benefits of orthodontic treatment?
- Enhancing self-confidence.
- Dental hygiene – it’s more difficult to clean your teeth when they are crowded and overlapping. Plaque damage due to inadequate cleaning is a major factor in tooth decay, gum disease and eventual tooth loss. Having your teeth straightened will make it easier for you to look after them.
- Tooth wear – a poorly aligned bite may lead to excessive or uneven wear of teeth.
- Gum damage -crooked teeth can damage gums. For example with a deep bite, the lower front teeth can bite into the gum behind the upper front teeth, causing wear and discomfort.
- Jaw joint problems – damage and pain in and around the jaw joint can be caused by poor natural alignment of the teeth.
- Speech – some people have difficulty speaking properly because of alignment problems with their teeth and jaws.
Our dentists can assess your needs and recommend the best straightening options to suit your requirements.